He is currently the Director of GARR the Italian Research and Education Network, Member of the Board of Directors of GEANT the European Research and Education Network and Coordinator of the EOSC-Pillar Project.
His experience in Infrastructures for research dates back to more than 35 years:
- Chairman of the INFN National Computing and Networks Committee (1992-1998)
- Director of INFN-CNAF and project leader of the TIER1 for LHC (1998-2004)
- Coordinator of 5 European Projects in e-Infrastructures (2005-2015)
- Head of the Distributed Computing and Storage Department of GARR starting the GARR-Cloud infrastructure (2013-2014)
- Director of GARR (2015- now)
- He promoted the creation of the Italian Computing and Data Infrastructure (ICDI) a national initiative to coordinate and harmonise the participation to EOSC (2017-Now)
During his career, he have been involved in technical and managerial aspects of research infrastructures and eInfrastructures including funding and long term sustainability.