Understanding the forces that shape biodiversity is crucial for the rational management of natural resources and aligning with the objectives set by the EU Biodiversity Strategy for 2030, which aims to restore biodiversity in Europe. Researchers face the challenging task of predicting global biodiversity dynamics and comprehending how species interact with their environment and each other. These dynamics are complex, requiring innovative approaches that combine data, models, and interaction processes to provide accurate predictions and sustainable solutions for managing Earth's biodiversity and ecosystems.
To address this challenge, the primary objective of BioDT is to develop a prototype of the Biodiversity Digital Twin, a cutting-edge tool that accurately models and quantifies species interactions with their environment. By harnessing existing technologies and leveraging data from relevant research infrastructures in innovative ways, BioDT aims to provide advanced modeling, simulation, and prediction capabilities.
The BioDT project team will be hosting a one-hour webinar to provide an in-depth technical overview of the development process for the biodiversity digital twin prototype on 8 June 2023 at 10:30 (CEST). During the webinar, they will showcase:
- the key components utilised in constructing the digital twin prototype;
- the seamless integration of Research Infrastructure data into the digital twin prototype;
- the interaction between the project and High-Performance Computing, including the utilisation of the LUMI Supercomputer.
Registration for the webinar is mandatory, but free.
Agenda (all times CEST)
- 10:30 - Welcome - Rita Giuffrida, Trust-IT srl
- 10:35 - BioDT: a technical digital twin platform prototype - Tomas Martinovic, IT4I
- 10:50 - The role of HPC and LUMI Supercomputer in BioDT - Sergei Zaiaev, University of Tartu
- 11:00 - The role of Research Infrastructures in building BioDT - John Watkins, UK Centre for Ecology & Hydrology
- 11:10 - Interactive session with the audience - Rita Giuffrida, Trust-IT srl
- 11:15 - Q&A
- 11:30 - Conclusion